Did you know that as much as 85% of home repair expenses in the United States come from water damage? Poor drainage systems, misguided landscape irrigation, and uncontrollable runoff are typically to blame for such water damage. Foundations, sidewalks, and driveways are at risk of being damaged, which can result in expensive repair work on your property. Fortunately, all of these problems caused by uncontrolled water can be easily fixed with a better drainage system.
Many homeowners overlook the kind of damage that uncontrolled water can present, but it can become a very a real issue. Without a good drainage system, you risk the following:
- Damage to concrete and asphalt
- Foundation and structural damage
- Overflowing gutters
- Basement water stains
- Building material deterioration
- Insect and rodent infestations–spiders, reptiles etc.
- Mold growth and wood rot
A Better Drainage System
Not every drainage solution applies to every situation. Water can be diverted away from your property in a number of ways, an experienced drainage system professional can help you determine the best solution for you.
- French drain – This type of drainage system is commonly used in residential applications and involves a series of trenches that hold perforated pipes filled with gravel. Water seeps into the ground through the gravel and is diverted away from your home.
- Dry well – Instead of diverting water to a sewer, with a dry well water is diverted into an underground well where it can be dispersed back into the soil. This is a very environmentally friendly drainage solution, as it conserves water by returning it directly to the ground.
- Corrugated tubes – Above-ground or buried tubes can be used in conjunction with downspouts to direct water away from your building instead of letting it pool into a low area. This can also be used to direct water to a landscaped area where frequent watering is necessary.
- Correcting lawn grades – Land needs to slope directly into nearby drains in order to ensure proper drainage. If your lawn mowing is uneven and water accumulates in low areas, you may need to correct your lawn grade.
Irrigation, Outdoor Lighting, and Drainage from Aqua Bright
For more information about outdoor lighting, irrigation, and drainage for your Maryland home, call Aqua-Bright today at 410-489-9009 or take a tour of our website. We offer top notch irrigation services from seasoned professionals. You can follow Aqua-Bright Irrigation & Illumination on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and LinkedIn for more updates and information about our illumination and irrigation services! For examples of our work, check us out on Pinterest, too.